A longcode is a 10-digit, local phone number that can be used for sending & receiving text messages. It’s typically used as a help/feedback/customer support text line. Learn more about the difference between Longcodes and Shortcodes.
Quick Setup: Login > Settings > Longcode.
Things to Know
- Each account can have one Longcode per account/Subaccount.
- You choose your Longcode and can filter your options by area code and specific number combinations.
- Each Longcode is unique to an account. Your Longcode is never used by another account.
- Longcodes are not meant for mass-texting purposes and are limited to a message throughput of 1 message per second (1mps).
- All incoming messages to your Longcode are stored in your Clearstream Inbox.
- Longcodes are a paid account feature.
Common Use Cases
- Live Q&A via text - With Clearstream, it's not necessary for someone to first text a Keyword to your Longcode. Any message that's sent to your Longcode instantly goes to your Inbox, where you can view the message, and reply to the person. This makes Longcodes a perfect tool for a live Q&A session, with a moderator managing your Inbox in real-time. Example - "Text your questions to 555-787-8989".
- Text-enabled support, help, or feedback line - Encourage your church to give feedback, ask questions, or get help through your Longcode. All incoming messages are immediately sent to your Inbox. Enable Inbox notifications to be alerted when you receive a new message.
- Prayer line - A Longcode can also be a great tool for collecting prayer requests. Example: "How can we pray for you? Text your prayer requests to 555-787-8989". You can set up an auto-response to let them know you've received their request and your team will be praying.
- Fallback number - We almost always recommend enabling this option. If anyone in your Subscriber List has Shortcode messaging blocked on their wireless plan, we'll automatically re-route your texts through your Longcode to those specific people. This will ensure the highest delivery rate for your messages.
- Choose your number. You can filter your options by area code and specific number combinations.
- Select Actions. The functionality of your Longcode can be customized to fit your specific use case.
- Choose whether to opt people to a list - If enabled, people who send a message to your Longcode will be added to a list. If you're using your Longcode as a help or prayer line, this option will not need to be enabled in most cases.
- Create an auto-response message - If enabled, a custom auto-response message will be sent when an incoming message is received.
3. Click "Create Longcode". Your Longcode is active as soon as you create it. You can always edit it's settings from within the Longcode section of your account.
Manage Incoming Messages / Replies
All incoming messages are sent to your Clearstream Inbox. You can view them and respond to them from there.
Once notifications are enabled, you will be notified immediately when you receive a new Inbox message. Notifications can be sent via email, push notifications if using the mobile app, and Slack.