A longcode is a 10-digit, local phone number that can be used for sending & receiving text messages. It’s typically used as a help/feedback/customer support text line. Learn more about the difference between Longcodes and Shortcodes.
Things to Know
- Each account can have one Longcode.
- Each Longcode is unique to an account. Your Longcode is never used by another account.
- Keywords cannot be used with Longcodes.
- Longcodes are not meant for marketing/mass-texting purposes and are limited to a message throughput of 1 message per second (1mps).
- All incoming messages to your Longcode are stored in your SMS Inbox.
- Longcodes are a paid account feature.
Common Use Cases
- Text-enabled support, help, or feedback line - Encourage customers or visitors to give feedback, ask support questions, or get help through your Longcode. All incoming messages are immediately sent to your SMS Inbox. Enable Inbox Notifications within your account to be notified when your Longcode receives a new message.
- Live Q&A via text - With Clearstream, it's not necessary for someone to first text a Keyword to your Longcode. Any message that's sent to your Longcode instantly goes to your Inbox, where you can view the message, and reply to the subscriber. This makes Longcodes a perfect tool for a live Q&A session, with a moderator managing your Inbox in real-time. Example - "text your questions to 555-787-8989"
- Small group communication - A Longcode is a great tool for sending and receiving messages to groups of employees, volunteers, or any small group of people. When a subscriber responds to a message, it is only sent to your SMS Inbox, not everyone in the group.
Creating Your Longcode
To get started creating your new longcode, click "Longcodes" on the left main menu. Click "Create Longcode".
- Choose your number. Choose which 10 digit number will be your Longcode. Click "Change Area Code" to filter by area code.
- Select Actions. The functionality of your Longcode can be customized to fit your specific use case.
- Choose whether to opt people to a list - If enabled, people who interact with your Longcode (ie - send a message to your Longcode) will be added to a list. If you are using your Longcode as a support, help, or feedback line, this option will not need to be enabled in most cases.
- Create an auto-response message - If enabled, a custom auto-response message will be sent when an incoming message is received. See also auto-response options
3. Click "Create Longcode". Your Longcode is active as soon as you create it. You can always edit it's settings from within the Longcode section of your account.
Manage Incoming Messages / Replies
All Longcode interactions (new messages received, or incoming replies to a message you've sent through your Longcode) are sent to your SMS Inbox. Click on a new Inbox message to send a reply.
Once notifications are enabled, you will be notified immediately when you receive a new Inbox message. Notifications are sent via email, or push if using the mobile app.